Sunday 22 September 2013

Sub frame connectors

I decided to have a go at making a set of sub frame connectors using Car Daze's plans (see Car Daze Sub-Frame Connectors) and I must say I am very happy how they turned out.  Because I live in New Zealand the cost to purchase a set from the states and get them shipped here with the exchange rate was quite expensive I think they worked out to be about a third of the price and I still have enough steel to make another 2 sets.  Also making them myself allowed me to make some modifications to the rear mount to add more strength for when I add the through rocker exhausts.

Started by cutting the 2" steel to length and marking out the notches for the angles and cutting them.


I made a angle gauge out of a scrap piece of particle board to make sure all the angles are correct and welded the bends.


After welding the bends I ground the welds smooth and created a template for the torque box plates I made these different to car daze because I am going to cut a 3" hole through the torque box for the through rocker exhaust so this allows me to add some strength back I also cut the 45 degree angle at the rear end and welded in a plate to cover the opening.  I have also completed some of the installation phase by cutting the ends off the front frame rails to allow test fitting before fully welding the connectors.


Completed connectors with a coat of paint ready for installation.


Completed the installation of the sub frame connectors which was quite awkward due to not having any jack stands and doing it all from within the transmission tunnel at normal ground clearance.  Very impressed with the result and how much it has stiffened the body it is very noticeable when rocking the body from side to side.

No comments:

Post a Comment